IV Therapy for the Medical Assistant
Please note prices are subject to change.
|Dates:||March 8-27, 2018
Meets: Th and Tu from 5:30 PM to 8:30 PM
Location: BMC 155B
This course will prepare the medical assistant to initiate, monitor and discontinue fluids under the direct supervision of the physician. The course will also focus on the skills required for IV therapy and the best practices required for this therapy.
At the end of this course, the student will be able to:
- Know terminology associated with IV Infusion
- Understand the physiology of fluids in the body
- Differentiate between the different types of solutions used in IV therapy and identify their use in the body
- Recognize complications and hazards of IV Infusion
- Explain the procedure to the patient
- Select appropriate equipment to initiate IV
- Demonstrate appropriate techniques for performing venipuncture and skin puncture.
- Safely secure venipuncture device
- Adjust flow to specified rate
- Maintain aseptic technique throughout all procedures
- Discontinue an IV
Required Textbook may be purchased from the GTC Bookstore. Introduction to Intravenous Therapy for Health Professionals. Authors: Eugenia M. Fulcher and Margaret S. Frazier. ISBN 978-1-4160-3399-8 Cost $59 (Cost is subject to change)
This course will meet Tuesdays and Thursdays from 5:30 to 8:30 PM between March 8 (Thursday) and March 27, 2018 (Tuesday) for a total of 6 sessions.
Student must be a Certified or Registered Medical Assistant in order to register and attend the class. Please bring proof of current certification or registration with you to the first class or email a copy of these documents to Mandy.Lowery@gvltec.edu.
Fee - 10% Discount offered to any employer that registers 2 or more employees.
| Category|| Description|| Amount|
|Course Fee (Basic)||Registration Fee||$ 249.00|
Buck Mickel Center, Room 155B
Economic Development and Corporate Training
Greenville Technical College
216 S. Pleasantburg Drive
Greenville, SC 29607
(across from the University Center/McAlister Square/ARC)
|03/08/2018||Thursday||5:30 PM to 8:30 PM ||BMC 155B |
|03/13/2018||Tuesday||5:30 PM to 8:30 PM ||BMC 155B |
|03/15/2018||Thursday||5:30 PM to 8:30 PM ||BMC 155B |
|03/20/2018||Tuesday||5:30 PM to 8:30 PM ||BMC 155B |
|03/22/2018||Thursday||5:30 PM to 8:30 PM ||BMC 155B |
|03/27/2018||Tuesday||5:30 PM to 8:30 PM ||BMC 155B |