Please note prices are subject to change.
Meets: Tu and W from 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM
Location: Brashier - Bldg 202 203
PROGRAM OVERVIEW The RN Refresher Online program is designed to update and enhance the nursing knowledge and clinical skills of inactive registered nurses who are preparing to reenter active practice. The program addresses foundational competencies for medi-cal-surgical nursing of the adult in today's increasingly complex current workforce setting. The RN Refresher Online program spans six months and is comprised of four mod-ules: Online Didactic Course, Online Skills Course, Face-to-Face Lab Practicum (of-fered at the Brashier Campus of Greenville Technical College), and On-Site Clinical Externship.
MODULE I: ONLINE DIDACTIC COURSE XNUR 507 - 10 weeks and 100 con-tact hours
At the completion of this course, the nurse refresher will demonstrate competency and renewed self-confidence in the following areas:
1. Utilization of an online learning environment to achieve an intermediate level mastery for test-taking on specified topics as well as lesson plans.
2. Application of critical thinking skills in the review of medical-surgical nursing. This includes content related to the following: a. identification of normal and abnormal findings in the assessment of specific body systems, b. alterations in health specific to various body systems, c. medical management and nursing care of the above alterations in health, in-cluding related pharmacological interventions.
3. Understanding the role and scope of practice of the registered nurse in current healthcare settings.
Module I: Didactic only option - Nurses with active licenses may choose to enroll in the didactic portion only. Module I is designed to be completed in 10 weeks. It is a managed paced format using the Elsevier Medical-Surgical textbook with adaptive quizzing software with an addi-tional software package to enhance learning current pharmacology requirements.
Computer Skills Required for This Class Include:
Use of a desktop or laptop computer for basic tasks.
Use of a word processing and printing program with the ability to name, save and upload documents.
Log onto the Internet (connect) from a home, office, or college computer.
Navigate the Internet using a browser program.
Use email, including attaching a file to an email message.
Download a program from the Internet plus installation of the same. Toggle and minimize between screens.
Do searches on the web, locating and noting reference information.
Use a streaming video/audio program for multimedia.
Use an online discussion board forum and chat room. Use of your personal flash drive for saving information.
MODULE II: ONLINE SKILLS COURSE XNUR 512 - 10 weeks and 80 contact hours
At the completion of this course the nurse refresher will demonstrate competency and renewed self-confidence in the following areas:
1. Utilization of an online learning environment to achieve passing scores related to specified technical skills.
2. Application of critical thinking skills in the following areas/skills:
a. Safety and Infection Control
b. Dosage Calculation and Medication Administration
c. Venipuncture and Intravenous Therapy
d. Central Venous Access, Blood Sampling and Care
e. Tracheostomy Suctioning and Care
f. Systematic Physical Assessment with identification of problems and interven-tions
g. ATI "How-To Videos of Nursing Skills"
h. ATI Practice Challenges including Evidence-Based Research Summaries
i. ATI Non-Clinical Time "Unexpected" and "Expected" Situations
3. Utilization of an online learning environment to achieve passing scores related to electronic health records and documentation concepts.
4. Application of critical thinking concepts while documenting specific client care scenarios.
5. Understanding the role and scope of practice for both the registered nurse and the licensed practical nurse, citing the differences between the two.
Module II: Skills only option - Nurses with active licenses may choose to enroll in the skills portion only. Module II is designed to be completed in 10 weeks.
It is a managed paced format using ATI Skills Videos and EHR GO documentation software.
MODULE III: SKILLS LAB PRACTICUM XNUR 513 - 2 days with 16 hours Face-to-Face Lab at the Brashier Campus of Greenville Technical College
Pre-Requisite Enrollment Requirements: Successful completion of Modules I and II above (XNUR 507 AND XNUR 512)
At the completion of this practicum, the nurse refresher will demonstrate competen-cy and renewed self-confidence in the following areas:
1. Application of critical thinking skills in the demonstration of the following are-as/skills:
a. safety and infection control.
b. dosage calculation and medication administration.
c. venipuncture and intravenous therapy.
d. central venous access with blood sampling and care.
e. tracheostomy suctioning and care.
f. systematic physical assessment with identification of problems and interven-tions.
2. Demonstration of accurate and appropriate documentation in electronic health records.
3. Demonstration of knowledge and proficiency with the components of emotional intelligence (EI) to include the following: a. effective communication. b. enthusiasm and positive attitude. c. effective teamwork and networking. d. effective critical thinking and problem solving. e. conduct that always displays professionalism.
4. Understanding the role and scope of practice for both the registered nurse and the licensed practical nurse, citing the differences between the two.
During this lab practicum, a Greenville Technical College ID badge is issued to the student nurse refresher.
MODULE IV: CLINICAL EXTERNSHIP XNUR 514 - 84 hours Under the supervision of an RN nurse preceptor, the nurse refresher will demonstrate satisfactory integration of the nursing process (theoretical knowledge with nursing skills) in compliance with the regulations of the SC State Board of Nursing and the ANA Code of Nurses.
Pre-Requisite Enrollment Requirements: U.S. licensed RN - All participants must hold a previous or current U.S. registered (RN) license. o Completion of MODULES I, II, and III (XNUR 507, XNUR 512, XNUR 513) within the prior six months.
Submission for approval: Immunization History and Student Health Form.
Current American Heart Association (AHA) BLS training.
Professional RN liability insurance in claims occurrence policy of $1,000,000 and $6,000,000.
Acceptable background check for clinical externship placement.
Comprehensive Background Screen with APPLYA: Access here: https://myscreeningportal.org/
Responsibilities of the nurse refresher for successful clinical externship placement include the following: o Secure a clinical site and RN preceptor based on preceptor guidelines.
Submit the appropriate application to the SC Board of Nursing.
Ensure eligibility to participate in a clinical externship.
Submit prior to enrollment documentation of immunization history and student physical health form.
Assume an active role in planning and scheduling the 84 clinical hours.
Review and understand the expectations of the RN preceptor's clinical evaluation.
Complete a facility orientation (if required). Prepare to work the preceptor's hours: possibly 12 hour shift, days, nights, week-ends, holidays.
Be able to perform the following necessary activities:
1) Communication: The ability sufficient for interaction with others in ver-bal and written form (Example: Explain treatment procedures; initiate health teaching; document and interpret nursing actions and patient re-sponses).
2) Critical Thinking: The ability sufficient for clinical judgment (Example: Identify cause/effect relationships in clinical situations; develop nursing care plans and calculate medication dosages accurately).
3) Environment: The ability to work in healthcare settings (Example: Work in environment with temperature changes; frequent contact with water or other liquids; sufficient noise to cause distraction and hazards where there is danger to body or health).
4) Hearing: The ability sufficient to monitor and assess health needs (Exam-ple: Hear monitor alarm, emergency signals, auscultatory sounds and cries for help).
5) Interpersonal: Abilities sufficient from a variety of social, emotional, cul-tural and intellectual backgrounds (Example: Establish and maintain sup-portive relationships with patients and other healthcare providers).
6) Mobility: The ability sufficient to move from room to room and maneuver in small spaces; ability to lift, position, push or transfer patients (Example: Move around in patients' rooms, work spaces and treatment areas; adminis-ter CPR; pushes, pulls or moves/lifts equipment and supplies [up to 25 pounds]; ability to reach, stoop, bend, kneel, crouch; prolonged standing and walking). 7) Motor Skills: Gross and fine motor skills sufficient to provide safe and ef-fective nursing care (Example: Calibrate and use equipment; position pa-tients; assist patients in and out of bed; use coordinated finger and hand movements).
8) Self-Care: The ability to present professional appearance and implement measures to maintain own health and not place patient in jeopardy (Exam-ples: Implement universal precautions; use good personal hygiene; have no lesions or irritations [Example: hangnails, psoriasis, eczema, blisters]; no nail biting).
9) Smell: Olfactory senses sufficient for maintaining environmental and pa-tient safety (Example: Distinguish smells that are contributory to assessing and/or maintaining patient's health status [i.e., smelling smoke]).
10) Tactile: The ability sufficient for assessment of physical health status (Ex-ample: Perform palpation, functions of physical assessment [taking pulse and perceiving temperature] and/or related to therapeutic intervention [i.e., insertion of a catheter]).
11) Visual: Near and far visual acuity sufficient for observation, assessment and implementation (Example: Observe patient responses; read patients' records, including physicians' orders; administer and document medica-tions; read gauges, digital printouts and computer screens).
12) Computer Skills: Capable of navigating and completing online electronic health record.
LICENSURE INFORMATION Eligibility Requirements: It is the nurse's responsibility to ensure eligibility for reinstatement or reactivation. Nurses are instructed to contact the Board of Nursing prior to enrollment. Legal is-sues, disciplinary actions, a background check with misdemeanors/felonies or any health issues which may preclude clinical in an acute care setting should be discussed with the Board of Nursing before enrolling in this course.
The ultimate responsibility is that of the nurse in seeking reinstatement or reactivation to ensure that all Board of Nursing requirements are addressed prior to enrolling.
Temporary License " Once the nurse refresher has passed Modules I, II, and III: XNUR 507, XNUR 512 and XNUR 513, and all required clinical paperwork is submitted to the clinical coordinator, a request will be issued by Abbe Fass, Clinical Coordinator, to the Board of Nursing for a temporary license.
" A temporary license can only be requested after all clinical requirements and the completed preceptor agreement are submitted to the clinical coordinator.
The temporary license is valid only for the completion of the clinical externship and not for employment purposes. "
The preceptor agreement must be filled out completely. The nurse refresher must be supervised by this approved preceptor at all times. The temporary license is issued to the nurse refresher based on the preceptor agreement and valid for 60 days. " If the preceptor is unable to perform the duties required, a new preceptor will need to be secured and a new preceptor agreement must be completed and turned into the Board of Nursing.
" A temporary license is required by the SC State Board of Nursing for the nurse refresher to participate in the clinical experience. A clinical site experience is considered a nursing function under the Nurse Practice Act, thus the require-ment for a temporary license. License to Practice (Reactivation and Endorsement) "
Once the clinical rotation has been completed, it is the preceptor's responsibil-ity to submit to the GTC-course clinical coordinator a completed clinical evalu-ation. The nurse refresher must turn in a record of attendance, clinical site evaluation, and both GTC name badges. "
A request for a license will be turned into the Board of Nursing by the clinical coordinator after all paperwork has been received. The Board will issue an ac-tive license within 3 to 5 business days. For South Carolina Nurses " State Board of Nursing: 803-896-4550 "
If you are seeking reactivation of your SC license or seeking endorsement from another state, be sure to contact the South Carolina Board of Nursing and obtain an application.
Peter A. Kubas is the Education Consultant at the SC Board of Nursing for nurses seeking licensure in SC: Peter.Kubas@llr.sc.gov; Education Consultant. Fax: 803-896-4515 o Website: www.llr.state.sc.us Landmail: SC State Board of Nursing, 110 Centerview Drive, Columbia, SC 29211-1329; Phone: 803-896-4550 "
For more information, contact Abbe Fass: Abbe.Fass@gvltec.edu or 864-250-8235. Greenville Technical College, P.O. Box 5616, MS 1121, Greenville, SC 29607.
Preceptor's responsibility: The preceptor shall: be an RN and in good standing with the Board of Nursing and the RN's employer. The preceptor must:
have been employed as an RN for two consecutive years
be chosen by the clinical site
supervise the nurse refresher at all times and when performing any skills
independently assign the nurse refresher to patient care when competency has been established
notify clinical coordinator of any problems during the clinical rotation
notify clinical coordinator if less than satisfactory performance has occurred after 40 hours of clinical rotation. co-sign all documentation based on the individual facility's policy
sign the attendance roster each time the nurse refresher attends the clinical rota-tion
complete the clinical evaluation form and provide any narrative comments about the nurse refresher and return the form to the clinical coordinator (Abbe.Fass@gvltec.edu) within 7 days after the nurse refresher completes the ro-tation.
Greenville Technical College shall:
provide all necessary documents for clinical placement to the clinical site
provide a list of current affiliation agreements with clinical sites to all nurses registered in Course XNUR 514
request the Board of Nursing to issue a temporary license - valid for 60 days and only for clinical placement
communicate and act as liaison with the clinical site regarding questions on behalf of preceptor
designate a point of contact for the clinical site and preceptor
submit a request to Board of Nursing for the issuance of the active license.
MODULE I: XNUR 507 Online Didactic Course September 9, 2021 to November 19, 2021-100 Online $750.00 partial grant money available to SC residents, based on eligibility
MODULE II: XNUR 512 Online Skills Course January 10 - March 18, 2022 80 Online $350.00
MODULE III: XNUR 513 Skills Lab Practicum Section March 28 and 29, 2022 or March 30 and 31, 2022. Greenville Technical College Brashier Campus Simpsonville, SC 8:00am to 5:00pm $399.00 $75.00 lab fee
FAQs: How long will it take to complete this course?
MODULES I, II, and III: XNUR 507, XNUR 512, and XNUR 513 can be completed in 22 weeks. MODULE IV: XNUR 514, the clinical externship, must be completed within three months after completing MODULE III: XNUR 513.
Is financial aid available?
The courses are offered through the continuing education department; financial aid is not available. However, this course has been approved by SC WIOA for sponsorship. Vocational Rehabilitation may be an option. There is partial grant money for MODULE I: XNUR 507 through the Workforce Pathways Grant. SC residency is required. The link for Workforce Pathways Grant eligibility is https://www.eventbrite.com/e/virtual-workforce-pathways-grant-information-session-healthcare-.
What are the costs of the books and software?
Module I XNUR 507: approximately $ 400.00 Module II XNUR 512: approximately $ 290.00 Module III XNUR 513 - no charge Mpdule IV XNUR514 - no charge
What is required for a clinical externship placement?
Successful completion of MODULES I, II, and III: XNUR 507, XNUR 512 and XNUR 513, an acceptable background check, immunization history, American Heart Associa-tion BLS, proof of professional liability insurance and completed clinical plan/preceptor agreement.
Is a clinical externship required?
The nurse will need to determine if a clinical placement is required based on the re-quirements of the SC Board of Nursing.
What role does Greenville Technical College take in securing a clinical site?
It is the nurse's responsibility to secure a clinical site and a preceptor. However, Greenville Technical College will provide a list of clinical sites that have accepted nurse refreshers in the past. Training via ZOOM will be available to assist you on se-curing a clinical site.
Is there a required medication calculation test?
Yes - that is completed in MODULE II: XNUR 512.
Will instructors be available to enhance the learning experience?
Yes, instructors will be available via email and through your learning management system. ZOOM classes will be available at designated times.
|Course Fee (Basic)||Registration Fee||$ 399.00|
|Course Fee (Alternate)||Alternate registration fee||$ 0.00|
|Mandatory Fee||Skills Lab Fee||$ 75.00|
Brashier - Bldg 202 203Brashier Campus, Building 202, Room 203
Jerdone Maria Davis
|09/07/2021||Tuesday||8 AM to 5 PM||Brashier - Bldg 202 203|
|09/08/2021||Wednesday||8 AM to 5 PM||Brashier - Bldg 202 203|